Hello Melanie,

I personally prefer to use HTTP between Apache and Tomcat rather than
the proprietary AJP protocol.

According to your description, I feel you can simply achive your need
with the following httpd.conf configuration (no other binaries than
out-of-the-box Apache Httpd needed) :

--> begin httpd.conf sample fragment <--

# load proxy and proxy_http modules
LoadModule proxy_module libexec/apache2/mod_proxy.so
LoadModule proxy_http_module libexec/apache2/mod_proxy_http.so

# route all traffic to Tomcat
ProxyPreserveHost On
ProxyPass / http://my-tomcat-server:9080/

--> end httpd.conf sample fragment <--

I blogged in French about Tomcat-Apache configuration. Hopefully, as
your name sounds french :-) you can understand them ; otherwise, they
are google-translate friendly :

http://blog.xebia.fr/2010/02/03/tomcat-load-balancing-mod_proxy-vs-mod_jk-le-match/
http://blog.xebia.fr/2009/05/05/tomcat-adresse-ip-de-linternaute-load-balancer-reverse-proxy-et-header-http-x-forwarded-for/
http://blog.xebia.fr/2009/11/13/tomcat-ssl-communications-securisees-et-x-forwarded-proto/