Mark, Here's the server.xml before moving abc out of the webapps directory:

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8'?>
<Server port="8005" shutdown="SHUTDOWN">
  <Listener className="org.apache.catalina.core.AprLifecycleListener"
SSLEngine="on" />
  <Listener className="org.apache.catalina.core.JasperListener" />
  <Listener className="org.apache.catalina.mbeans.ServerLifecycleListener" />
  <Listener
className="org.apache.catalina.mbeans.GlobalResourcesLifecycleListener"
/>

        <GlobalNamingResources>
                        type="org.apache.catalina.UserDatabase"
                        description="User database that can be updated and
saved"

                        pathname="conf/tomcat-users.xml" />
        </GlobalNamingResources>

  <Service name="Catalina">
    <Connector port="8080" protocol="HTTP/1.1"
               connectionTimeout="20000"
               redirectPort="8443" />
    <Connector port="8443" protocol="HTTP/1.1" SSLEnabled="true"
               clientAuth="false" sslProtocol="TLS" />
    <Connector port="8009" protocol="AJP/1.3" redirectPort="443" />
             resourceName="UserDatabase"/>
      <Host name="localhost" appBase="webapps"
            unpackWARs="true" autoDeploy="true"
      </Host>

          <Host name="abc.local" appBase="webapps/abc"
                        unpackWARs="true" autoDeploy="true"
                        <Context path="" docBase="">
                        </Context>
          </Host>