Am 07.05.2010 09:42, schrieb Tommy Pham:
-----Original Message-----
From: Christoph Kukulies [mailto:k...@kukulies.org]
Sent: Friday, May 07, 2010 12:21 AM
To: Tomcat Users List
Cc: Caldarale, Charles R
Subject: Re: tomcat 6 (windows 7- 64 bits) doesn't start

From: Christoph Kukulies [mailto:k...@kukulies.org]

I believe it's because I only have the jre, not the jdk and I'm
downloading at the moment.

No, Tomcat runs fine on a JRE.  The problem is that you have a 32-bit
JVM
installed in a 64-bit OS.  (The 32-bit Windows JVM has only the client
DLL, the
64-bit only the server DLL.)  The Tomcat installer program expects the JVM
mode to match that of the OS.  Use a 64-bit JVM.
   - Chuck

Thanks. That's correct what you are saying. But this also means that
whenever you're  asked to download the latest Java from java.com
(Sun/Oracle) with whatever Java app, e.g. OpenOffice or something, that
infamous installer that always installs the Yahoo toolbar in your browser
when you don't untick that checkbox, you always get the 32bit version JVM
on windows.

I looked for a 64bit version on their download page to no avail.

--
Christoph Kukulies

Christoph,

Try java.sun.com.  Specifically:
http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/widget/jdk6.jsp

Regards,
Tommy

Thanks, Tommy. Great link! And I even remembered my Sun account/password which is still in their databases since
13 years or so. :-)

--
Christoph