I knew I had to have missed something. The documentation section that
covers classloading isn't very clear and as far as I can see makes no
mention of the privileged setting, and the section under Context
configuration that describes the privileged setting is misleading (from
your description I'd guess it wasn't updated properly from 5.5). Your
answer makes things plainer. Thanks!

             "Caldarale,
             Charles R"
             <Chuck.Caldarale@                                          To
             unisys.com>               Tomcat Users List
                                       <users@tomcat.apache.org>
             05/07/2010 08:44                                           cc
             AM
                                                                   Subject
                                       RE: Tomcat 6.0.26
             Please respond to         Context/privileged
               "Tomcat Users
                   List"
             <us...@tomcat.apa
                 che.org>

> From: peter_f...@blm.gov [mailto:peter_f...@blm.gov]
> Subject: Tomcat 6.0.26 Context/privileged
>
> that means that in effect all applications are running as if
> privileged by default.

No, that's not how it works.  The WebappClassLoader chooses which parent in
the classloader hierarchy to delegate to, based on the privileged setting.
By default, the WebappClassLoader skips over the common class loader, going
right to the system classloader.  Only privileged webapps get to use the
common class loader.

 - Chuck

received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the e-mail and
its attachments from all computers.