Jeffrey Janner wrote:
(a lot of useful stuff)

Thanks for all this info.

Honestly, I have not really looked deeply into IPv6 yet, and I am not sure I understand the implications very well. My naive idea was that this stuff was really cool, opened up a lot more address space, that IPv4 addresses had somehow been mapped to a sub-range of IPv6 addresses, and that there was always some kind of "automatic IPv4 to IPv6 translation" going on in the background.
I guess it's not that simple, and I'll have to brush up on my IPv6 stuff.

Another impression I'm getting now, is that Tomcat-wise, things are not very clear in that respect. Or maybe it's just the documentation which is lagging a bit. In all fairness, it is probably not the Tomcat layer that is the thing here, it is the Java JVM I guess, or maybe even deeper into the OS.

If I summarise what I've seen so far, in dummy's terms :
- if you are using APR for the HTTP Connector, then it is always IPv4 (or maybe only up to version X) - if you are using the non-APR HTTP Connector, then it is IPv6 by default, if this is the platform's default ? Except if you force IPv4 by specifying "0.0.0.0" as the address to listen on. - the SHUTDOWN connector (default port 8005) seems to be always IPv4, probably because internally it forces listen address 127.0.0.1
(Can this be a problem ?)
- what about the AJP Connector ? Does that one also depend on whether you are using APR or not ? (I don't remember if for that one, you /can/ specify an address; I'll check) - is there a way to force the JVM to use one or the other ? I saw the -D parameter indicated by Chuck before, but the OP seemed to say it had no effect. On what does that depend ?