-----Original Message-----
From: André Warnier [mailto:a...@ice-sa.com]
Sent: Friday, May 14, 2010 5:07 AM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: Restrict http methods

Mark Thomas wrote:
> On 14/05/2010 09:06, André Warnier wrote:
>> Mark Thomas wrote:

>>> Nope. The default servlet supports both PUT and DELETE but they are
>>> blocked by default.

>>> It returns a 403.
>>>
>>> Mark
>>>
>> Thanks.
>> Just for further information really :
>> If there is a webapp context say at /abc, with a servlet url-mapping
>> of "/*", and this servlet does not have a doPut() method, does a PUT
>> request to /abc get remapped to the default servlet ?
>
> No. All requests, regardless of HTTP method, get passed to a Servlet's
> service() method. From the reference to doPut(), I assume that the
> servlet in question is extending javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet
>
> Rather than me describe what that code does:
> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/tomcat/trunk/java/javax/servlet/http/Http
> Servlet.java?view=annotate
>
>Allright, I think I get it now.  My mindset is just not Java- or object-enough
>oriented for me to think of that right away.
>So a servlet subclasses (or implements) HttpServlet, and if it does not itself
>override the doPut and doDelete methods, the ones from the base class (or
>interface) >apply.
>And these return 403.

>Thanks for enlightening me.

>Leo, are you still with us ?
>;-)

Yes.  I wasn't implementing doPUT or doDELETE and was scratching my head trying
to figure out how the security scan was able to indicate those methods were
available.

Pid - see, I told you I have a lot to learn....

Btw, I had no idea that the code is published on the web.  Very cool.  Now
you've got me on a diversion... So many questions....