I have created a simple web service which simulates 250 msec worth of work when
called.

When I test this service from jmeter I make a SOAP request with 50 threads.

If I run this test against a Windows hosted tomcat all threads pretty much
start at the same time and end within 10-20 msec of each other.

When I run the test against a linux hosted tomcat the first 30 or so threads
are fine, the remaining pause for 1000-3000 msec and then finish.

I have the connector settings set to:

<Connector protocol="HTTP/1.1" port="8080" address="${jboss.bind.address}"
   enableLookups="false" redirectPort="8443" acceptCount="500" debug="0"
   connectionTimeout="20000"
   disableUploadTimeout="true" />

I'm using the embedded tomcat in RH SOA-P 5.0.0 GA.

I believe SOA-P hosts a version 5.5, I can verify.

I did have the opportunity to try it on a vanilla jboss server and it behaved
the same way.

Windows - Windows 7 64bit

Linux - SMP x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux -  Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server
release 5.5 (Tikanga)
  * Ulimit nofile is default (1024), however doesn't climb beyond 600 during
testing.

  * The linux server isn't doing much of anything when I'm testing.

Regards,
Dave