What about network configuration? Are both servers the same "distance"
from you on the network?
That's a reasonable question.

The only thing I can add - and I wish I knew more about this than I do - is that Linux is configurable to a fault when it comes to process/thread management and it may be that RHEL 5.5 just isn't set up to be very good at this with the default kernel, kernel config, and /sys parameters. Perhaps someone else has gone the rest of the way down the same road and written up what they did.

You may have other things in the mix on RHEL that are superfluous, like LVM2 or SELinux. It might be a more fair comparison if you don't use and/or disable that stuff.

- Jeff