On 05.06.2010 00:53, Mohit Anchlia wrote:
On Thu, Jun 3, 2010 at 4:30 PM, Mohit Anchlia<mohitanch...@gmail.com>  wrote:
In our present environment we have a WS and APP server. When request
comes in, WS sends it to APP server using mod_jk and then APP server
inserts it into JMS queue. So essentially APP server is also dependent
on JMS server which runs on the same box.

My question is can I use fail_on_status in worker.properties to take
one of the APP servers out of service from mod_jk(WS) by returning
some Http error code as a response to a request when JMS server is
down and a request comes in? Since cping and cpong will still return
success would this mechanism of fail_on_status work?

Are there any other suggestions?

I would appreciate if somone gave their suggestion on my post above. I
am going to try fail_on_status with -503 kind of setting and see if
request is load balanced to a different server.

I am assuming mod_jk will not be able to put worker in error state if
that worker returned error code specified in fail_on_status because
cping and cpong will continue to see tomcat up and running. Is this
assumption correct?

Read about the feature on

http://tomcat.apache.org/connectors-doc/reference/workers.html

Using "-503" will not take the app server out of service because of the minus sign. It will only replace the error page, headers and status code for the responses with status 503 send by the app server. Not what you want.

Furthermore using 503 as a value for fail_on_status will likely not help. It is very unreasonable for your app server to return a 503 status itself, if JMS is not available.

Regards,

Rainer