To whom it may concern,

On 6/9/2010 10:07 AM, Vitalstatistix wrote:
> Hey, I've just been working on this tutorial here:
>
> http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/opensource/library/os-eclipse-tomcat/index.html
>
> It has been pretty good and I've got the jsp page to show the time but when
> I try going to the HelloServlet I get the error 500.
>
> [...]
>
> javax.servlet.ServletException: Wrapper cannot find servlet class
> com.example.servlets.HelloServlet or a class it depends on

Looks like Tomcat can't find your servlet class.

> root cause
>
> java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: com.example.servlets.HelloServlet

Okay, so you've gotten to the "Hello World Servlet" section? Do you have
this line of code at the very top of the file:

package com.example.servlets

?

Check the exact spelling: it's important.

>   <servlet>
>     <description></description>
>     <display-name>HelloServlet</display-name>
>     <servlet-name>HelloServlet</servlet-name>
>     <servlet-class>com.example.servlets.HelloServlet</servlet-class>
>   </servlet>

This definition looks correct.

>   <servlet-mapping>
>     <servlet-name>HelloServlet</servlet-name>
>     <url-pattern>/HelloServlet</url-pattern>
>   </servlet-mapping>

This mapping is correct. You are visiting
http://yoursite/example/HelloServlet and getting 500, then?

> Sorry I don't know how to add code tags in this forum. I'm using Tomcat 6.
> I've
> made no changes to ANY web.xml files, I simply followed that short basic
> tutorial step by step. My HelloServlet.java class is exactly the same as in
> the tutorial and is in the same package.
> Could you please tell me why it can't seem to find the class?

I'm not sure where Eclipse puts all its files, but if you could
track-down the location of the deployment directory (often something
like /foo/bar/tomcat-x.y.z/webapps/example) and give us a file listing
including subdirectories and files in those subdirectories, we might be
able to help.