Yeh that was just a dodgy hack to get around my initial errors when using
javac. I found out later the reason why javac wasn't working on my servlet
class was because servlet-api.jar wasn't on the classpath,
after adding that I was able to compile it the normal way. Also the solution
is NOT to put it in the WEB-INF folder, you need to have your .class file in
the build/classes/<Yourpackage> folder.

>>> xmlns:web="http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/javaee/web-app_2_5.xsd";
>>> xsi:schemaLocation="http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/javaee
>>> http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/javaee/web-app_2_5.xsd"; id="WebApp_ID"