Marc Boorshtein wrote:
All,

I'm trying to setup apache in front of tomcat and have apache do the
authentication for access and pass the user's context back to tomcat.
I've seen documentation that says that I should set the JK_REMOTE_USER
environment variable but it doesn't seem to be working.

You should not need to do that, it should be automatic.
Just make sure that in the Tomcat <Connector> for AJP (in server.xml), you set
the attribute
tomcatAuthentication="false"

If the request is authenticated by Apache, mod_jk will (always) pass it internally to Tomcat, along with the request. If the above attribute is set, then Tomcat will also "believe" this user-id, and not try itself to authenticate the user.