Also, it is *really really really* helpful, when you post a question, that you would specify the precise versions of software you are talking about.
Like :
Apache httpd version : 2.2.3
Tomcat version : 5.5.21
mod_jk version : 1.2.18
.. the documentation .. : the documentation page at :
http://tomcat.apache.org/.....

It helps people here figure out if you have a real problem, or if your are using an old version with a know bug, or if you are looking at some incorrect instructions etc... It helps them getter a better idea, quickly, of where the issue may be. And it shows that you have at least done some homework yourself, before asking other people to spend their time trying to help you. All of the above have the indirect effect of motivating more people to help you faster, so it is also to your own advantage.

André Warnier wrote:
Marc Boorshtein wrote:
All,

I'm trying to setup apache in front of tomcat and have apache do the
authentication for access and pass the user's context back to tomcat.
I've seen documentation that says that I should set the JK_REMOTE_USER
environment variable but it doesn't seem to be working.

You should not need to do that, it should be automatic.
Just make sure that in the Tomcat <Connector> for AJP (in server.xml), you set the attribute
tomcatAuthentication="false"

see here :
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/config/ajp.html
(at the end)
(if of course you are using Tomcat 6.0)

If the request is authenticated by Apache, mod_jk will (always) pass it internally to Tomcat, along with the request. If the above attribute is set, then Tomcat will also "believe" this user-id, and not try itself to authenticate the user.