On 17.06.2010 19:44, Jeffrey Nguyen (jeffrngu) wrote:
This question might be a little off topic, but I thought since it
involved tomcat web apps, I figured someone might know the answer.

I have Liferay EE 5.2.6  running on top of tomcat 6.0.26.   Liferay has
an admin GUI page to allows me to change log level settings for
different packages.  The issue I'm facing is changing the log levels
seems to only take effect on the ROOT web apps.  All the other plugin
web apps do not seem to response to the new log levels.   I checked on
Liferay support forums and found that others are also facing this
problem
(http://www.liferay.com/community/forums/-/message_boards/message/492284
1)

Is this really Liferay's specific problem or is it Tomcat issue in
general?

In plain vanilla Tomcat, are the web apps loaded in a WebAppClassLoader
and ROOT web app is loaded by StandardClassLoader?  If so, I assume this
is really just an issue with Tomcat right?  How do I get around this
problem?

In a previous project I worked with, we relied on DB change notification
to relay the new log level to all tomcat web apps.  However, I don't
want to consider that solution because it requires design changes and it
has its own set of problem.

Any pointers would be much appreciated!  Thanks in advance!

The root context isn't special with respect to class loading. Each context has its own webapp classloader. What that means with respect to log configuration depends on the log frameworks used by the web applications, and how the frameworks are deployed. Often the webapps for example use log4j and each webapp contains a copy of the log4j jar file. That means each webapp would have its own copy of log4j and a completely independent configuration.

If log4j would instead be deployed *only* via a shared loader (like the common loader), then all webapps would share a single instance and a single configuration.

You can force log4j (example) to use a common configuration for all instances during startup by using the -Dlog4j.configuration=SOMEURL commandline parameter, but that doesn't help with later dynamic changes.

Regards,

Rainer