First of all apologies for problems with my first post....
Posting again completely new.....

I have two problems with a fairly complex webapp. I don't know if they
are related or not.
Webapp has been deployed on several dozens of customers without problem
and tested in our lab on several configurations without problem.

However one customer has following two issues.
Tomcat is: Apache Tomcat/6.0.24, Java is 6 don't know update number
exactly but can find out if necessary.

First...
In catalina*.log log files we get exceptions with following stacktrace
(on a load test we get a lot of them, on normal run we get something
like one/two per hour):

Jun 21, 2010 1:17:21 PM org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase
backgroundProcess
WARNING: Exception processing loader WebappLoader[/hidden_name] background
process
java.lang.StringIndexOutOfBoundsException: String index out of range: 110
        at java.lang.String.substring(String.java:1934)
        at org.apache.catalina.util.RequestUtil.normalize(RequestUtil.java:131)
        at
org.apache.naming.resources.FileDirContext.normalize(FileDirContext.java:771)
        at
org.apache.naming.resources.FileDirContext.file(FileDirContext.java:811)
        at
org.apache.naming.resources.FileDirContext.getAttributes(FileDirContext.java:429)
        at
org.apache.naming.resources.BaseDirContext.getAttributes(BaseDirContext.java:747)
        at
org.apache.naming.resources.ProxyDirContext.getAttributes(ProxyDirContext.java:840)
        at
org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.modified(WebappClassLoader.java:822)
        at
org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappLoader.modified(WebappLoader.java:477)
        at
org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappLoader.backgroundProcess(WebappLoader.java:398)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.backgroundProcess(ContainerBase.java:1309)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase$ContainerBackgroundProcessor.processChildren(ContainerBase.java:1601)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase$ContainerBackgroundProcessor.processChildren(ContainerBase.java:1610)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase$ContainerBackgroundProcessor.processChildren(ContainerBase.java:1610)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase$ContainerBackgroundProcessor.run(ContainerBase.java:1590)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)

Actual index in "String index out of range: " varies with every occurrence.

What could be causing this?
Seems to me it is related to web app reloading but this is my blind guess.
What I know is that app should not be automatically reloaded (nothing
changes in WEB-INF/* folders) nor is "told" to reload via Tomcat manager.
So please help! :)

Second one...
Don't know if it is related to first one or separate issue.
>From time to time on a load test we get intermittent 404 errors
on our jsp pages. "Intermittent" meaning page gives 404 error on a request
and randomly and next request to a same page goes ok (few miliseconds
later).
What I know is that:
1. JSP page exists for certain (it is not moved or deleted or anything)
works ok before it happens, works ok afterwards
2. All JSPs are written in a way that they don't throw any exceptions to
the outside (surrounded in try/catch everything). If/when code
invoked inside throws unhandled exception page will produce some custom
error message inside enclosing catch.

What could be causing this? Is it related to first problem, or a
completely new one?

Thanks for any info you can provide me,

--
Tomy <t.petro...@inet.hr>