That is pretty much what i do, but I recommend that you adopt an overlay
approach. It will make it easy for you to take new versions of Tomcat when they
are available.

Here is how I currently deploy to Solaris.

(1) I use a blessed tomcat distribution from
http://tomcat.apache.org/download-60.cgi

(2) I build a tarball that contains files to be installed relative to the
tomcat directory

- bin/setenv.sh - to configure the environment.
- conf/server.xml - to configure tomcat hosts
- conf/tomcat-users.xml - to enable a user for jmx and the manager
- conf/context.xml - to configure the context.
- Catalina/<domainname>/manager.xml - to manage my domain.
- lib/*.jar  - common jar files - poi, lucene, log4j, etc.
- webapps-wars/ROOT.war - my webapp - I separate the base in server.xml

(3) I have an installation script that always assumes that there is either a

- stops tomcat.
- makes sure that examples and other default tomcat applications are removed.
- changes the directory to the tomcat base.
- untars the tarball over tomcat.
- modifies the jvmroute in the conf/server.xml so my apache front ends can load
balance with mod_jk.

If you can use cygwin then you may be able to create a single script for both
Windows and Linux.

Regards,
Dave