On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 2:23 AM, David Goodenough
<david.goodeno...@btconnect.com> wrote:
> I have some old JSP pages which used to run on Tomcat 5.5.  I tried to
> move to Tomcat 6 and the current JSTL but I am getting some odd errors.

I don't remember any similar problems moving from 5.5 to 6 but that
was seriously long ago, so ...

>  <%@ taglib uri="http://java.sun.com/jsp/jstl/core"; prefix="c" %>

> The content of elements must consist of well-formed character data or
> markup.

Sounds like your page is being evaluated as a .jspx (XML-format) file.

> I have the jstl and el files from dev.java.net, and I have tomcat 6 as
> installed by Debian.

Joy. Uninstall the Debian-hacked version and install a real one from
the Tomcat site. The list archives are full of issues with these funky
repackaged versions.

Alternately, post a WAR somewhere with a simple test case showing
the failure.

--
Hassan Schroeder ------------------------ hassan.schroe...@gmail.com
twitter: @hassan