I have some old JSP pages which used to run on Tomcat 5.5.  I tried to
move to Tomcat 6 and the current JSTL but I am getting some odd errors.

When I include the <%@ taglib directives inline in the source, say:-

  <%@ taglib uri="http://java.sun.com/jsp/jstl/core"; prefix="c" %>

I get an error saying:-

The content of elements must consist of well-formed character data or
markup.

If I put the taglib directives in an include file, I get an error saying that
the <c:catch> is not bound.

I have the jstl and el files from dev.java.net, and I have tomcat 6 as
installed by Debian.

Eclipse (Helios with its validation) seems to think everything is OK, but
when I used jasper2 to compile it under ant, or simply run the page, I
get the errors.

Anyone got any good pointers as to how to fix this?  Are there any good
JSP/JSTL migration guides?

David