> From: André Warnier [mailto:a...@ice-sa.com]
> Subject: Re: Configure read/write-access in TomCat
>
> Would you gurus mind pointing out where exactly ?

Not sure what you want pointed out.

> I am looking at the online documentation of Tomcat 7, at
> http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/index.html,
> and not finding it.

What is "it"?

> I am also having trouble finding it in the Servlet Specifications v 3.0
> (I mean specifically where it says that the "default" web.xml is being
> merged with the application-specific web.xml.)

That won't be in the spec - it's a characteristic of Tomcat.  Other containers
operate differently.

> If you refer to the content itself of the conf/web.xml file

That's what Pid was talking about.

> here is all it has to say :
>
> This document defines default values for *all* web applications
> loaded into this instance of Tomcat.  As each application is
> deployed, this file is processed, followed by the
> "/WEB-INF/web.xml" deployment descriptor from your own
> applications.

That's the key information.

> For example, it does not clearly speak of merging, nor in case
> of merge which possibly overlapping or conflicting directive has
> precedence (one wopuld presume the webapp, but then presumptions
> are sometimes misleading).

Yes, the settings in the webapp's WEB-INF/web.xml override those in the global.
 I can't find any explicit statement to that effect either, but that is how it
works.

> By the way, according to http://tomcat.apache.org/whichversion.html,
> Tomcat 7 follows the Servlet Spec 3.0.  But in most of the online
> documentation, it refers only to earlier versions of the specs,
> like here : http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/index.html

Patches are always welcome.

> And as long that I'm at it, following the link "Introduction"
> on this last page, one comes to a page where the paragraph
> "Terminology" is all but enlightening..

Do you know anyone who actually likes to write documentation?

 - Chuck

attachments from all computers.