Mark Thomas wrote:
On 18/08/2010 13:32, André Warnier wrote:
What do you mean by "write" ?  There is nothing in tomcat itself which
allows users to write anywhere on the server.

I know I am coming late to this thread but to be pedantic that is not
correct.

The above was written with the intention of not confusing the OP more than
necessary.
But I could have written : There is nothing enabled by default in Tomcat
itself..

Tomcat supports HTTP PUT (implemented in the default Servlet) but it is
disabled by default for the obvious security reasons.

And enabling it would force the Tomcat team to decide on the exact semantics of
a PUT.
I remember some discussion about this a while ago, in relation to SOAP or REST if my memory serves.
;-)

Also, if you enable the WebDAV Servlet, you have even more options to
add content to the server.

That on the other hand was clearly mentioned.