On 25/08/2010 14:50, Fernando Morgenstern wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a Tomcat cluster environment with 4 servers. I was wondering that is
> the best way to deploy an application on 4 servers at the same time.
>
> At a first moment, i thought about having a script that would copy war files
> to all servers using rsync. Basically i upload the war file to the first
> server and them use this script to copy to other tomcat servers.
>
> Could you share your experience with this kind of environment? Is this the
> best way to deal with deployment?

Scripting your deployment process is a Good Idea.  It will also mean
that it happens the same every time, according to whatever your scripted
procedure is.

Upload them separately to each server, check integrity and then run a
local script to finish the process and deploy them to appBase & do
server restarts if needed.

If you're deploying to production servers with auto-deployment enabled,
make sure the upload occurs to a separate temp location, before copying
it into the appBase.

You could SCP files up to a location on the server, using a user account
configured with a password-free key pair.

SSH will let you limit a given key to specific commands, so the account
could be configured solely for uploading the files & then running the
local deployment script.