Hi,

Our current system has two servers in a clustered environment with shared
disk, but we ended up splitting the webapps areas into seperate.

This gave us more control in the end and our promote procedure for a new
version of an app is now scripted. So one server gets removed from the pool
of active servers, upgraded and then replaced and the script moves to the
next.

We still need a full outage for things that require a schema change in the
backend for example. But we do a sorry server page while the brief outage is
underway.

For a bigger site, you could go 2 clusters and have shared disk in each
cluster. Pull one cluster at a time out of your load balancer and use the
shared disk to trigger an upgrade. You'd have to pick a lull time in your
load though so half the system could cope.

It helps that half our system can carry the full load as we run a stretched
cluster 150m apart for DR purposes. 150m isn't enough, but it's better than
the same room.

I've never played with the farm deployer module, not sure if thats an
alternative.

I'd be interested if anyone has? Or solved the problem another way.

Hope that helps,
Dave

--
David Nillesen