Hi Mark,
            I guess I am getting the point you are trying to make .. As long
as the password or (the encrypted password and the secret key) are present
at some location (file system / database/ etc) .. there is a security gap ..
I agree with this ..

This said, I am trying to find a way to get tomcat work with an encrypted
password. [given the fact there is no way anyone can get to the  secret key
for decrypting the password]

Thanks!
Vijay