On 27/08/2010 13:19, Vijay wrote:
> Hi Mark,
>             I guess I am getting the point you are trying to make .. As long
> as the password or (the encrypted password and the secret key) are present
> at some location (file system / database/ etc) .. there is a security gap ..
> I agree with this ..

Bingo!

> This said, I am trying to find a way to get tomcat work with an encrypted
> password. [given the fact there is no way anyone can get to the  secret key
> for decrypting the password]

Can't be done. As a minimum some secret has to be visible to the process
running Tomcat. Which also means it is visible to any user with root
privileges.

By far the simplest solution is to have the tomcat user own server.xml
and make that file owner readable only.

You can, if you want to make server.xml more widely visible, use
property replacement or XML entities to move the password to a separate
file and then lock down that file.

You also need to lock down any code run by Tomcat to stop a back-door
being inserted. This includes web applications. Alternatively (for web
applications) you could run under a security manager.

Frankly this rapidly gets to the point where it is easier to:
a) limit access to the machine to people you trust
b) accept that if an attacker compromises the machine through Tomcat
then the password is going to be compromised

I have seen a lot of other 'solutions' proposed for this problem and I
have yet to see one that isn't anything more than smoke & mirrors
designed to fool people (many of who should know better) into thinking
the password is far more secure than it really is.

Mark