On 9/1/2010 1:46 PM, Wesley Acheson wrote:
On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 10:13 PM, Marc Chamberlin
<m...@marcchamberlin.com>  wrote:
Have you tried modifying this section?

     <filter-mapping>
         <filter-name>ssi</filter-name>
         <url-pattern>*.shtml</url-pattern>
     </filter-mapping>

To look more like this

     <filter-mapping>
         <filter-name>ssi</filter-name>
         <url-pattern>*</url-pattern>
     </filter-mapping>
Thanks Wesley for taking the time to answer, much appreciated! Yes, I have tried this filter mapping / url-pattern with no joy. Also have tried a url-pattern of *.html and no joy either....
Also change the section
         <init-param>
           <param-name>contentType</param-name>
           <param-value>text/x-server-parsed-html(;.*)?</param-value>
         </init-param>

The param-value must be a regular expression that will meet the
following mime types
text/x-server-parsed-html or text/html. My regular expressions aren't
great so I'll leave that for an exercise.
Yeah, neither are mine ;-) ... The trouble with reg expressions is that there are a lot of variants and documentation does not clarify just whose reg expr parser is being used. I usually assume GNU, but been bit so many times by that assumption that I can never be sure. So I don't know how to modify this either....
I think this should work with html and htm. I'm not so sure about JSP,
hopefully someone else can clear this up.

Note there is an overhead with scanning all your files for SSI
comments but I don't think it should be too bad. Again someone more
experienced should be able to answer.
Searches (lots of em!) on the internet have not provided me with an answer,
though I have gotten hints that it is doable.  Could some kind guru help me
grok this and guide me to the light?  Many thanks in advance....

    Marc Chamberlin

Note I got this info from reading the web.xml that came with tomcat 6
it may be different depending on your version.
Yeah I read, but did not grok...   Marc..