I'm in the middle of some major re-factoring so I don;t have time to
actually test this...

> 0. [Browser has two JSESSIONID cookies: one secure=true and one
> secure=false]

This I doubt. When testing load-balancing on a single machine, I have
seen browsers send the same cookie to two Tomcat instances that only
differ by port number. I suspect https and http will be treated the same
way and one cookie will just overwrite the other. You should test that
to be sure though.

> 1. Browser makes an HTTPS connection to the server and sends both cookies
> 2. Application code calls request.getSession()

Assuming browsers behave the way I think they will, this should be a
non-issue. If they don't it will get 'interesting'. Either way you'll
need to experiment to be sure.

Mark