Mark,

On 9/14/2010 12:30 PM, Mark Thomas wrote:

> I'm in the middle of some major re-factoring so I don;t have time to
> actually test this...
>
>> 0. [Browser has two JSESSIONID cookies: one secure=true and one
>> secure=false]
>
> This I doubt. When testing load-balancing on a single machine, I have
> seen browsers send the same cookie to two Tomcat instances that only
> differ by port number. I suspect https and http will be treated the same
> way and one cookie will just overwrite the other. You should test that
> to be sure though.

Okay, I'll check. I believe that "version 0" cookies should overwrite
each other when the port numbers are different, but that "version 1"
cookies allow a port specification that should allow two cookies with
the same name and path, but different numbers, to exist side-by-side
with no interference.

I just checked, and RFC 2109 ("version 0" cookies) does seem to indicate
that the port number adds to the unique-ness of the hostname, therefore
my statement above appears to be incorrect. It's possible that web
browser were (at some point) lazy and I am remembering a bad cookie
implementation.

The Set-Cookie2 definitely has a "port" parameter that can be explicitly
added to the cookie's settings.

Regarding the "Secure" flag, this is all the RFC has to say about it:

"
   Secure  If absent, the user agent MAY send the cookie over an
           insecure channel.
"

That indicates to me that non-secure cookies should be sent as well as
secure cookies, but doesn't say if they overwrite each other. I didn't
read every word of the RFC, but from what I did read, this appears to be
a gray area where the browser would be left to either support separate
secure/non-secure cookies or clobber one with the other.