From: Jorge Medina [mailto:cerebrotecnolog...@gmail.com]
Sent: Sunday, September 26, 2010 4:25 AM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: Tomcat Consultant

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Application_server

I am no expert, I have never used a J2EE container, so verify my words below:

A web container (Tomcat) allows you to run servlets...(or JSPs that
get compiled into servlets)
A J2EE container or Application Server (Glassfish) can also manage
EJBs, it will support message queues (JMS), it will allow you to
manage database and JNDI resources, it can handle a transaction
manager.
You can probably use JMS, set up JNDI resources and use a transaction
manager within your webapp in Tomcat but you have to add the features
yourself; an application server should be able to help set up all that
and help you manage it, in theory speeding up your development.

An application server is also a web container, but it offers you many
other features.

http://download.oracle.com/javaee/1.4/tutorial/doc/Overview3.html