On 9/23/10 8:15 PM, Roy McMorran wrote:
We are observing an odd behavior after upgrading to 6.0.29. Ordinarily if an exception occurs this will be logged to catalina.out. When Tomcat is first started (we use jsvc) this is the case as expected. However if the webapp is redeployed (without a restart of Tomcat) errors are no longer logged to catalina.out. Restarting will return it to the normal behavior (until the next redeploy).

Prior to upgrading we were using 6.0.20 and did not have this issue. Running under Solaris 10 with JDK 1.6.0_21. I'd be happy to provide any other information that might be useful. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Well, we never did find out why this behavior changed, but we've implemented a workaround by configuring Tomcat to use log4j as described at
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/logging.html#log4j
and setting swallowOutput in the Context element.

Now everything is logging to tomcat.log (instead of catalina.out) and it behaves the same way before and after any redeploy.

Cheers,

--
Roy McMorran
Systems Administrator