On 05.10.2010 15:27, mamalacation wrote:

n828cl,

n828cl wrote:

Pretty much guaranteed that it's not Tomcat but your webapp that is
locking itself out of access to some resource (such as the database).
Take several thread dumps during the slowdown period and see what's going
on.

http://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/HowTo#How_do_I_obtain_a_thread_dump_of_my_running_webapp_.3F
http://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/FAQ/Performance_and_Monitoring

BTW, tell us the *exact* Tomcat version, and the JVM level you're running
on.

as far as the version as concerned:

Tomcat Version:  6.0.26
JVM Version : 1.6.0_20-b02

Update to 1.6.0_21, there's a serious bug in 20 concerning string functions on certain types of x86 CPUs.

Not saying this is reason for anything you observe, it's just not a solid base.

JVM Vendor : Sun Microsystems Inc.

I will look at the links you proposed to see what's going on with my
webapps, but I am pretty sure that there must be some limit somewhere that I
can't see.

Where can I set the database options regarding timouts, pool size,
max_database_connections, etc?

Regards,

Rainer