> From: Brian [mailto:bbprefix-m...@yahoo.com]
> Subject: RE: Tomcat 6.0.29 using more and more RAM until it collapses?

> the Eden Space is barely used (10MB right now). The survivor
> space is even less used (1MB right now).

An object is normally created in Eden and will migrate to survivor if still
reachable during the next minor GC.  In most applications, the vast majority of
objects become unreachable very quickly, and never make it to a survivor space.

> But the Tenured Gen space has 120MB right now! In fact, when
> my JVM start to eat houndreds of MB, most of that goes to the
> Tenured Gen.

Once the survivor space fills up, long-lived objects migrate to tenured, where
they stay until the application discards them.  Very large objects may be
initially allocated in tenured if they won't fit in Eden.  Anything you see in
tenured has either been around for quite some time or exceeds the Eden
allocation threshold.  The dead objects in tenured space won't be cleaned out
until a major GC occurs; the JVM tries to minimize the number of those since
they take quite a bit more time than a minor GC.  You can force a major GC with
the JConsole button.

> The perm gen is using 22MB right now, which is not a lot so I
> guess it is normal.

A one-time look at the size of the PermGen isn't interesting; you need to see
whether it increases over time, especially after restarting a webapp.  If it
does increase after a restart, that means the old instance of the webapp is
still hanging around.

 - Chuck

attachments from all computers.