Is it possible to just store my existing collection of datasources in
some global context?

I.e.
initCtx = new InitialContext();
Context envCtx  = (Context)initCtx.lookup("java:/comp/env");
envCtx.bind("datasource_live", objLiveDatasource);
envCtx.bind("datasource_test", objTestDatasource);

or something along those lines?

Thanks
Rob

http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/jndi-datasource-examples-howto.h