Well, I must admit I have received spam before  :-)
But I really don't get much spam, and I don't use any filters because they
have never been reliable enough. I prefer to get spam, than to use a filter
that blocks valid emails and having to check all the blocked emails to see
if something valid is there.
What I meant is that as soon as I enrolled, I started receiving this spam
with the classic scam that made Nigerians famous on the internet, as they
were on fax.

> Since the mailing list messages are archived in numerous public locations,
it's
> pretty much impossible to prevent the unscrupulous from harvesting
> members' e-mail addresses.

That's is why forums are better than lists.