Mark Thomas schrieb am 29.11.2010 um 16:34 (+0000):
> On 29/11/2010 16:23, sol myr wrote:
> > I've just started looking into the NIO Connector.
> > And I see why it's great to combine NIO+Comet...
> > But does it makes any difference outside of Comet?
>
> Yes.
>
> > 1) Namely, if I only have old-fashioned Servlets (not a
> > "CometProcessor") - will it improve performance to use
> > NIO connector (versus the good old HTTP connector)?
>
> That depends on how you define performance.
>
> > I ran a test with such old-fashioned Servlet, and got
> > the impression that Tomcat opens a thread-per-request.
> > So it didn't take advantage of the "non blocking"
> > feature of NIO.
>
> Thread per request - yes (it has to due to how the servlet
> API is defined) but not a thread per connection. That is a
> big difference.

I'd like to understand this non-blocking IO thing. Given Sol
Myr's example, can we say that:

(a) blocking IO requires one thread (or, in some other
server environments, one process) per socket, so the OS
gets to switch between processes or threads a lot since
they're likely to be waiting on IO; whereas

(b) non-blocking IO allows a thread or process to switch
between sockets, thus providing scheduling and concurrency
on just another level, possibly with advantages?

Thanks for your comments.

--
Michael Ludwig