Yes you are right. And I find I misused the <user-data-constraint> element
which prevented me from accessing the login page. I have changed it and can now
access the login page.

I mimic the realm in tomcat wiki and wrote the bellow:
<Realm
        authentication="simple"
        className="org.apache.catalina.realm.JNDIRealm"
        connectionName="cn=tomcat,o=University,c=World"
        connectionPassword="cscw"
        connectionURL="ldap://172.16.55.167:3268";
        debug="99"
        referrals="follow"
        roleBase="cn=Roles,o=University,c=World"
        roleName="cn"
        roleSearch="(member={0})"
        roleSubtree="true"
        userBase="o=University,c=World"
        userSearch="(sAMAccountName={0})"
         userSubtree="true"/>

But the login still fails without printing any error.. I wrote a piece of code
JNDIClient to access the same "admin" account and got the right
InitialDirContext. Don't know why...

And a curious part is that my AD entry has no "sAMAccountName" property. I
changed this to "CN={0}" and "userPrincipalName={0}" and also failed to pass
the authentication.