Hi guys,
we had some issues due to a memory-leak here and used this opportunity
to upgrade our Tomcat from 5.5.20 to 5.5.31.
Here's our current environment:
tom...@www2:~/local/tomcat55/bin$ ./version.sh
Using CATALINA_BASE: /home/tomcat/local/tomcat55
Using CATALINA_HOME: /home/tomcat/local/tomcat55
Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: /home/tomcat/local/tomcat55/temp
Using JRE_HOME: /home/tomcat/local/jdk15/
Using CLASSPATH: /home/tomcat/local/tomcat55/bin/bootstrap.jar
Server version: Apache Tomcat/5.5.31
Server built: Sep 4 2010 12:53:08
Server number: 5.5.31.0
OS Name: Linux
OS Version: 2.6.18-3-amd64
Architecture: amd64
JVM Version: 1.5.0_10-b03
JVM Vendor: Sun Microsystems Inc.
The interesting options inside our startup-script are
[ ...]
TOMCAT_USER=tomcat
[...]
echo "Starting tomcat"
$DAEMON_HOME/bin/jsvc \
-user $TOMCAT_USER \
-home $JAVA_HOME \
-Dcatalina.home=$CATALINA_HOME \
-Dcatalina.base=$CATALINA_BASE \
-Djava.io.tmpdir=$TMP_DIR \
-Dlog4j.configuration=log4j.xml \
-wait 10 \
-pidfile $PID_FILE \
-outfile $CATALINA_HOME/logs/catalina.out \
-errfile '&1' \
$JAVA_OPTS \
$CATALINA_OPTS \
-cp $CLASSPATH \
org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap
exit $?
;;
What's really puzzling me, is, that since we upgraded Tomcat,
catalina.out is not owned by the user specified in $TOMCAT_USER any
more but is owned by root.
All other files are owned by $TOMCAT_USER as expected.
What did we change?
Well, in the old version, there was the archive "tomcat-native.tar.gz"
containing the sources for the native wrapper.
Now, with Tomcat 5.5.31, there's a new archive
"commons-daemon-native.tar.gz", which also contains the native wrapper
sources - however, the old one is also coming with the
5.5.31-distribution.
I couldn't find anything in the docs saying "we've changed the
native-wrapper-implementation - use the new one" or similar. So I
guessed that the old one might be depricated, so I used the sources
from "commons-daemon-native.tar.gz".
Works like charm, the only catch is, as described above, that
catalina.out now is owned by root. Before, said file was owned by
$TOMCAT_USER
This is really a PITA, since we don't want to grant root-access to the
Tomcat-developers.
Could somebody in this list please explain, either what I'm missing
here, and also, what's the difference between the two
native-wrapper-versions?
When checking for the jsvc-parameters with "./jsvc -help", I
recognized that the parameter "-user" didn't change.
I'm aware that I could patch the startup-script by inserting something
like "chown ${TOCMAT_USER} ${CATALINA_HOME}/logs/catalina.out",
however, to me this seems only like the 2nd best solution.
Any hints very much appreciated!
Cheers
Gregor
--
just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you...
gpgp-fp: 79A84FA526807026795E4209D3B3FE028B3170B2
gpgp-key available
@ http://pgpkeys.pca.dfn.de:11371
@ http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/
skype:rc46fi
---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [email protected]
For additional commands, e-mail: [email protected]