> From: Gregor Schneider <rc4...@googlemail.com>
>
> I feel that ppl have a problem if they mistrust  their developers in so
> far that they have to lock their box even to their own  developers
> maintaing the apps. And I'm not talking about full access but  I'm
> talking about browsing the logs.
>
> Besides, when having a  production-problem, one can react quickly if
> the developer responsible for  the app can read the logs.
>
> OTOH, some ppl might have no problems with  outages and can wait for
> the logs being mailed / ftp'ed / whatsoever by the  usally always busy
> server-admins...*sic*

I'm living in such an environment. One of the reasons for this separation is
fear of "quick fixes": production machines are not for testing patches - which
otherwise you can bet it would happen if anything beyond log reading would be
granted. But we have log reading allowed and everybody is happy - both
paranoids
and genies.

JC