Hello List,

I am currently using Apache Nutch 1.2 and Tomcat 6.0.26 (first post on list). I
recently configured use of a plugin within Nutch which has been known to cause
the above error due to the fact that Tomcat and Jena (a framework for building
semantic web apps) are using conflicting versions of xerces library. I
understand that previously I could replace the parser to match in
$CATALINA_HOME/common/lib, however I learned when running on JSE 5 the class
loader delegation process will default to the implementation inside the JDK. I
have therefore ended up reading about the endorsed standards override mechanism
but have strayed slightly and now think it is best to seek help!
The Jena jar packaged with the Nutch plugin was released in 2004 so I am aware
that I would probably need to 'downgrade' the Tomcat xerces parser library for
testing purposes. I attach part of the exception report to give an idea of the
problem. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you

Lewis

exception

org.apache.jasper.JasperException: javax.servlet.ServletException:
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/xerces/util/XMLChar

org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.handleJspException(JspServletWrapper.java:491)

org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java:401)
        org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:313)
        org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:260)
        javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:717)

root cause

javax.servlet.ServletException: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:
org/apache/xerces/util/XMLChar

org.apache.jasper.runtime.PageContextImpl.doHandlePageException(PageContextImpl.java:862)

org.apache.jasper.runtime.PageContextImpl.handlePageException(PageContextImpl.java:791)
        org.apache.jsp.search_jsp._jspService(search_jsp.java:886)
        org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(HttpJspBase.java:70)
        javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:717)

org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java:377)
        org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:313)
        org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:260)
        javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:717)

Winner: Times Higher Education's Widening Participation Initiative of the Year
2009 and Herald Society's Education Initiative of the Year 2009