The logging page which I pointed you to, does not say that Tomcat uses log4j.
It says that you /can/ configure Tomcat to use log4j, instead of the default "juli" logging. It even provides instructions to do so.

The AccessLogValve documentation page does not say either that it uses log4j.
But what it does say at the very beginning, is that the output file is changed every day at midnight. So if you only read the files up to last night at midnight, you will never encounter the problem that something is still writing to it.

Also, I do not know what your ultimate purpose is, but there exist already several open-source programs which read a logfile in the format produced by the Tomcat AccessLogValve, parse it, and produce nice graphical statistics out of it (like webalizer or awstats). Maybe you are re-inventing something which already exists ?

Web access statistics are not usually something which needs to be accurate in
real-time.
Having Tomcat writing them directly to a database may have a noticeable impact on your applications performance. That's why this is something usually done off-line.

maven apache wrote:
Perhaps I’m not making myself clear,in fact I want to do some processing
work to the the logs created by the access log
valve<http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/config/valve.html#Access_Log_Valve>to
database.

For example:the log:

10.33.2.45 - - [08/Dec/2010:08:44:43 +0800] "GET /poi.txt HTTP/1.1"
200 672 "-" "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US;
rv:1.9.2.8) Gecko/20100722 Firefox/3.6.8"

will be saved in the db in this format:

ip                  time                            method
uri               status    bytes      browser                  platform
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

10.33.2.45 2010-10-08 08:44:43  GET    /poi.txt    200    672
Firefox/3.6.8    winxp

And now I meet some problems when I read the log file like:
localhost_access_log.2010-12-20.txt

I read the file line by line,but sometime I can not get a complete line
since this file may be written in.

So,someone suggest me add a db appender(log4j),which will do the procesing
work and then export the log to db.

-------

Now,from the link you give me ,it seems that tomcat does use log4j to create
its access log.