Obviously there is something about the SSH shell I don't fully understand in terms of why the tomcat server doesn't background itself over SSH but does when executed from the bash shell. Perhaps backgrounding isn't the right term for what is happening.

Actually, my mistake was using the '-t' option in my ssh command:

ssh -t -p 222 user@tomcatserver 'perl
/usr/local/sites/domain.com/domain-restart.pl'

Once I *removed* the '-t' option, I no longer needed 'nohup' in my script. For anyone curious here is the man ssh on -t:

-t  Force pseudo-tty allocation.  This can be used to execute arbi-
             trary screen-based programs on a remote machine, which can be
             very useful, e.g., when implementing menu services.  Multiple -t
             options force tty allocation, even if ssh has no local tty.