On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 6:18 PM, André Warnier <a...@ice-sa.com> wrote:
James Godrej wrote:

To avoid this same issue in the future, maybe you should set JAVA_HOME or
JRE_HOME to a "higher-level" link to the Java installation directory.
 Usually, Ubuntu/Debian set this as /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun for example, and
this link gets updated automatically when you update sun-java.

I could not understand your suggestion completely.
Sakai needs JAVA_HOME in a particular fashion.
https://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/DOC/Sakai+2.7
see the binary version on the link I mentioned

No, it does not.  It says :

1.1 Set Java environment variables
Set the JAVA_HOME environment variable to point to the base directory of your Java installation...

So if you set JAVA_HOME=/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun
and /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun is a link which points to /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun-1.6.0.22 (which is "the base of your Java installation"), then it will work fine.

And the day that you run an update, and the Ubuntu package manager replaces java-6-sun-1.6.0.22 by java-6-sun-1.6.0.36, it will also update the link /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun to point to this new directory, and it will /still/ work.

And the same for Tomcat's JAVA_HOME.
Both Tomcat and the sakai package care only about one thing : that the JAVA_HOME variable points to a valid Java directory, under which they will find a bin/java executable to run.

But this is getting us a bit far from pure Tomcat support, and entering the area of OS'es and filesystems and package setup tactics.