From: Robinson, Eric [mailto:eric.robin...@psmnv.com]
Sent: Tuesday, February 08, 2011 10:27 AM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Is IBM Right About Java?

Saw this statement on an IBM web site:

"Most JVMs grow towards the upper heap limit (-Xmx/-mx options) when
more memory is required, and do not return memory to the operating
system, even if the memory is no longer needed, until the JVM process
terminates."

Is this true? If thought returning unneeded memory to the OS was what GC
is all about.

--
Eric Robinson

Disclaimer - February 8, 2011
intended solely for Tomcat Users List. If you are not the named
addressee you should not disseminate, distribute, copy or alter this
email. Any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of
the author and might not represent those of Physicians' Managed Care or
Physician Select Management. Warning: Although Physicians' Managed Care
or Physician Select Management has taken reasonable precautions to
ensure no viruses are present in this email, the company cannot accept
responsibility for any loss or damage arising from the use of this email
or attachments.