Hi Chris,

I guess you have not read my last email yet. I think of it as putting two
32-bit pieces of info on a 64-bit data bus whereas for two 64-bit pieces of
information it takes two fetches or twice as long on the same hardware.
Depending upon the number of bytes for each data type for 32-bit versus 64-bit
20% performance reduction makes sense.

As for compressing the pointers all I read is it improves response time  so
that
maybe running on 64-bit java the program is only 1% slower. I am  assuming the
pointers are compressed after the first pass or even before the  byte code is
run.

Regards,
-Tony