> From: Christopher Schultz [mailto:ch...@christopherschultz.net]
> Subject: Re: [OT] IIS7/isapi/tomcat performance

> Are you saying that a 32-bit JVM running on a 64-bit machine
> somehow utilizes the 64-bit bus?  Malarkey.

I wouldn't bet on that.  Intel goes to great pains to insure all of the buses
are fully utilized.  On a 64-bit machine, all of the data paths from RAM up to
the L1 operand cache will be able to move twice the number of items per cycle
when the items are only 32 bits wide.  Between the L1 cache and the superscalar
execution core, there may be less of a gain, but since the core contains three
ALUs and separate load and store sections to service them, memory operations
are combined wherever possible to get data in and out as fast as possible.

 - Chuck

attachments from all computers.