On 3/11/2011 3:22 AM, Mark Thomas wrote:
The obvious difference is that Tomcat 6 compilation targets Java 5
whereas Tomcat 7 targets Java 6. For a simple test JSP:
Tomcat 6 (1.5) - 3,488
Tomcat 7 (1.5) - 3,530 +1%
Tomcat 7 (1.6) - 3,668 +6%

The 1% will be a combination of:
- Tomcat 7 uses version 3.6 of the Eclipse compiler while Tomcat 6 uses
3.3.1.
- the source code differences you can see in the .java files.
Hmm....

I tried forcing 1.5 as the source/target version for JspC -- I'm still over 65K with Tomcat 7.

I wonder if there's enough extra hidden code generated by use of generics...

Anyway, I guess the page owners will have to try to clean things up.

--
Jess Holle