I'm interested in how you were able to do this. The 65k limitation is
for a single method, not the entire JSP. Yes, JSPs compile into a single
jspService method but when taglibs are used, each use generates its own
method which then gets called and each method tends to thin out.

Are you using lots of scriptlets and/or /not/ using any tag libraries?

Would it be possible to post the source to one of these problematic
JSPs? We may have some simple suggestions on how to reduce the size of
the generated methods.
I can't share the code, unfortunately. There are lots of scriptlets and a fair number of tag libraries in use. It's not my code -- though that's not to say mine is better, just smaller :-)
Oddly enough, generics are a compiler-only feature in Java. It's
basically a giant scam to avoid having to use casts while adding dozens
of<Whatevers>  to your code rendering it unreadable. Oh, and the
compiler complains if you don't specify them, too, which is nice.

Anyhow, the presence of generics should not alter a .class file by a
single byte. I'd be happy to see a case where it does matter.
Yes, generics are almost a compiler-only feature, but that translates into (1) some extra metadata and (2) hidden casts inserted into calling code. Both increase class file size.

I haven't gotten to it, but I've been meaning to toggle out the JDT/EJC compilation from my precompilation and use javac and see what that does -- just as a point of comparison.

--
Jess Holle