Yeah, it's a very old version. But we can't change it, anyway.

The details about the moving:
The application (written in C), first, generates a new file which is stored
in one directory, say "origin". This step is perfectly made.
Then, the application moves this file to another directory
"target". "target" was originally a regular directory, but, because of space
restrictions, we have changed this folder for a symbolic link which points
to another partition in an external drive. So, the path remains the same.

The machine is a Red Hat Linux release 7.1 (Seawolf).
The server is launched with the same user who is owner of the directory.
This directory has the following permissions: drwxr-xr-x
And the symbolic link has all the permissions up.
Using a terminal, we're able to copy from the first directory to the second
directory without problems (it doesn't matter if we do through the symbolic
link or directly).

Let's write it a little bit clearer:
We want to move a file from origin/ to origin/target/
Previously, this movement was made perfect
Then, we change origin/target/ for a symlink called target which points to
another path in another partition.
Now, it doesn't move the file when using the server application (although we
can do it manually from the filesystem using the same user of the tomcat
server).

Any help?