On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 12:20, André Warnier <a...@ice-sa.com> wrote:
[...]
> Considering all the above, which would be the easiest/quickest way of
> starting to figure out what this tomcat is doing, and where the
> system/application bottleneck might be ?

We have the following tools, all very easy to setup and run:

* SNMP monitoring of the JVM (allows to see the amount of memory
consumed, the number of threads, and others - the MIB is well
defined);
* a shell script sending the results of a kill -3 on the JVM (a thread dump);
* a script which triggers when a java.lang.OutOfMemoryError is thrown.

If you are interested in any of it, I can tell you how we do it.

And, considering that your server has 12 GB RAM, you could indeed do
with a little more heap space!

--
Francis Galiegue
ONE2TEAM