Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
From: André Warnier [mailto:a...@ice-sa.com] Subject: Simple Tomcat monitoring ?

  5396 root      20   0  832m 610m 9224 S  100  5.1  12:32.43 java

the second task visible above is the interface to the search engine).

Which seems to be single-thread and thus a possible bottleneck.  The 100% CPU
usage is very suspicious.

I thought so too, but it does not seem to be.
When I use the command
ps -p 5396 -Lf
I see multiple "instances", all running the same command. They all have the same PID, but different numbers in the "LWP" column (Light-Weight-Process ?).

which would be the easiest/quickest way of starting to figure out what this tomcat is doing, and where the system/application
bottleneck might be ?

This has proven to be a useful tool to look inside a running Tomcat:
http://moskito.anotheria.net/

I had a (very) quick look at the website.
From what I gather at this first look though, it seems already a bit "invasive", in the sense that it seems that to start collecting any information at all about a servlet or tomcat, the least one can do (unless one controls the source code of the application, which I do not), is to configure another classloader etc..
That means changing the Tomcat configuration and restarting Tomcat.
That's maybe a bit more than what I am looking for right now.