On Vista Home Basic... ?  Uh...

Start/Control Panel
Switch to Classic View
Find Administrative Tools/Services

You're on your own after this, but in a nutshell.. you need to check the
properties of the "Tomcat Service" and see if you can change the way the
service "Logs On"

What happens when you reboot your computer? Do you have to restart Tomcat each
time or is it still running after you reboot?

>Also startup.bat is not there in the specified directory.
Fine.  By the way, I never specified a directory because no one here knows how
you've installed Tomcat 5.5.x
I'm very fond of version x myself.